Thursday, March 27, 2008

Have Passport, will travel


Oliver went to the post office with us today to get his passport picture taken and he should be a travelin' man in 4-6 weeks! Amazingly, it didn't take the prerequisite 4 days wait in line either! We were in and out in about an hour...just like Lenscrafters! I can't believe I have a son who has a passport...it is almost like he is a real person. I met a woman in line who was far too open with me about her birth and child rearing experiences. Much to her 16 year old daughter's chagrin, she felt she had to share with me 1)the wonders of having three c-sections 2)why formula feeding is best and 3)extremely embarrassing stories about her three daughters. I kept thinking, maybe this woman thinks she knows me...or maybe I DO know her and I just forgot who she is. My proper little mind couldn't conceive of why a perfect stranger would act as if I have known her all her life. She even used people's names in the story for instance, instead of "my older daughter" she would say "Patricia". How should I know who Patricia is!?

I just nodded along until FINALLY my friend called with "Sackal Baby Watch 2008" updates. You see, my friend, Megan, (see how nice it is to explain who someone is before you introduce them in a story!?) is expecting her second baby - any second now - and I have promised to help her with the breastfeeding part. Kinda like a friendly lactation consultant who knows you personally. So she has been calling me to update me on her progress. So after I hung up with her - by the way, she will be holding that baby by the morning - I "had" to call my mom to let her know. The woman, if you can believe it, kept trying to interrupt my phone call to talk! Some people...

Oliver, in true Ollie form, took an extremely ridiculous picture that in no way resembled a smile. It was all they could do to get him to look straight ahead. The picture they took I wasn't privy to take home so I found the closest one I could find in our own stash of baby memorabilia. Looks like he just got caught during a panty raid doesn't it? Thank goodness we don't live in Canada! They would have made us wait to get a picture with his mouth closed. At this rate it might happen right before he enters school. Mouth breather!

2 comments:

Suna Kendall said...

We took my older son to meet his grandparents when he was Oliver's age. He simply would not sit up, but luckily we took his photo at work and the handy dandy graphic designer Photoshopped out the hand that was propping him up. That was probably not legal, but the child was totally leaning, no matter what we tried. We went again before that passport expired, and it cracked up the Northern Ireland security guard when we showed him a nearly 4-yr-old child with a blurry photo of a baby on his passport. Fun.

As for chatty lady, sounds like mental health challenges to me.

Unknown said...

Hey! Uncle Daniel just got his passport today - just a week after applying - though he did pay extra to expedite. Father like son?