Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Addiction


So most of you know that we are cloth diapering Oliver. This makes his butt rival that of J. Lo (pre-twins) but it also keeps diaper rash away and is saving us tons of money. Well, sorta. You see, when I started I thought that there wasn't a whole lot to this whole cloth thing. You buy some covers, you buy some pre-folds and maybe one or two night time pocket diapers, Bumgenius for me, and you are pretty much done right? Yea, the POOR people do! (imagine nose in air)

Well, then I found out about fitteds. These are like prefolds but they have snaps or velcro to do the folding and pinning for you. You normally would use a cover with these as well, but around the house sometimes it is okay to go cover free so that air can get to the hiney. Okay, so put me down for a couple of those. But which ones are the best?! After hanging around some websites, I found that there are "Hot" diapers, which at the moment are Mutts and Goodmamas to name a few. Especially Goodmamas-see picture. Here is where it gets complicated.

Goodmamas can be purchased new for $33. Oh but wait, you have to get on a mailing list to be notified when they are stocked. And they are rarely stocked. So onto plan B, stalking diaper trading sites. Very rarely you can find GMs (as they are called by those in the know) for a decent price, if you stalk the site constantly. More people, however, do auctions. Oh, great! Auctions are fun cause you can get something for cheaper than normal. Wow, do YOU have a lot to learn. Some of these auctions drive the price of one, count em, one diaper to $200 and up. I shit you not sir! And remember, these diapers get covered up once you put them on so does the print really matter?! Oh yes, and a baby poops on them.

Don't even get me started on wool covers! These are apparently spectacular but so expensive it makes my head spin. I have asked my friend and neighbor the knitting fiend to make me some, but it is kinda slave labor as I don't plan on paying her...maybe with burned coffee cakes...

Sure, I don't NEED another diaper anymore than I NEED another handbag or pair of shoes. But did that stop me from purchasing three fluffymail fitteds yesterday? (I feel that Fluffys are going to be the newest hot diaper) Really I should be spending my money on some red edged Prefolds for when Ollie grows out of the ones he has now and some more covers, you know, practical stuff. I will do this too, but right now I have auctions to bid, websites to stalk!

No comments: