Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Well, baby


Yesterday Oliver had his well check. We saw a doctor we don't usually see, and I loved her, so thorough and she (gasp!) smiled! Oliver has gained all his birth weight back, plus two ounces which isn't even supposed to happen until two to three weeks after birth! Thank you boob juice. I guess those 54 feedings per day is doing something after all. He has a clogged tear duct which makes his eye all goopy and icky, but not much we can do about that save keeping it clean. His head is round and perfect as every other part of him. His jaundice is clearing up and the doctor said the breastmilk will knock it out in no time at all. He does have a white tongue, which some of you have expressed concern over. Let me assure you, it is NOT thrush, it is milk staining from eating so much.

An odd thing did happen yesterday, let me tell you the story from both perspectives.

Oliver: I was laying in my crib, minding my own business, pondering the meaning of life and why it is that these things floating in front of me keep moving away from me just as I start to enjoy them when all of a sudden, a monster crept up behind me and grabbed my hair, pulling it with all his might. Why would he do such a thing!? What did I ever do to him?? Luckily, The Boob came over and rescued me by flinging the monster off of me. Hey, there is that floaty thing again, I wonder if I can get it into my mouth this time...

Alyssa (aka: mommy): Oliver was laying in his crib trying to suck on his hands and dozing on and off when he started screaming and crying, clearly upset. I first blamed the dog since she will NOT leave the baby alone, I thought maybe she had bitten him. As I looked into the crib, I realized, Oliver had seized a handful of his own hair and was pulling as hard as he could. I had to pry the hair out of his hand to get him to let go. It was the cutest thing I have ever seen.