Sunday, January 20, 2008

Oliver's Coming Out Story


Okay, we are finally home and resting. Daddy and baby are watching football right now.

I noticed Thursday evening that I wasn't feeling him move at all and so I told CT who rushed home so we could get checked out at L&D. They sent us home saying that he was running out of room, I wasn't in labor etc, so don't worry about it. I was disappointed but glad we went. My mom and dad took us out for mexican food to console us. We went home and I tried (key word try) to get comfortable but I was having contractions (Braxton Hicks I thought) every ten minutes and I even quit watching Nip/Tuck to take a bath which usually stops them but not this time. We went to bed around 11pm and I tossed and turned because Oliver was really being active. Then, at 1am, I heard a POP and it wasn't my hip this time. I was like, uh oh and ran to the bathroom.

I felt something drop out when I was peeing so in order to see I turned on the light. At this time, I realized, water was running down my legs. I yell to CT that my water broke and by the time I put a pad in my undies, he is completely dressed, shoes on and grabbing the bag. Previous to this announcement, he had been in a dead sleep. I went downstairs at this point to email a few people the news. Then, my water REALLY broke almost soaking the sofa. My labor plan was to labor at home for as long as possible, but since my contractions were already 3 minutes apart, this was not a possibility any longer.

The LandD room was AWESOME and they let my mother, sister and CT labor with me exclusively. We got some great nurses who were all for the natural route. It was just like laboring at home. I had my yoga ball and my relaxation breathing and everything. I labored for 9 hours using the techniques. However, at 7cm, I decided I could not push without an epidural and I was right. However, I had to wait an HOUR for them to pump me full of liquids before the epi could be administered. FINALLY I got the epi and it was adjusted correctly. However, now, I was needing to push. So as soon as I got the epi, they checked me and I was at 10 cm and almost crowning.

I pushed for 1 hour all the while hearing from the nurses standing around that he would never fit out of my tiny lady parts (I cracked a joke in between pushes that this USED to be a good thing). They were right, again, as I required a 2nd degree episiotomy to get the kid out. But once that was done, one push and slip slide he was here and on my chest immediately. He was disgusting (we have video that proves those are my first words to my son) but mine! He scored 8/9 apgars and took to the breast right away.

My milk is already in and I am just waiting for him to get difficult. He sleeps most of the time and hardly ever fusses unless he is naked or hungry. Don't we all? Hopefully he will always be this good...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, I'm watching the video I took a week and a day ago and realize I have tears rolling down my face. What an amazing experience - thank you for letting me be a part of it!

Great Auntie Donna said...

Okay, I'm watching the video that Robyn took a week ago and I have tears rolling down my face. Thank you for letting me be a part of it by proxy!
Hugs and kisses
Great Auntie Donna from Scotland