Tuesday, January 22, 2008

First Doctors Visit


Oliver had his very first doctors appointment today. Nothing major, just a newborn follow-up. We got there a little late, but luckily we sat in the waiting room (that does not have a well baby area) for only a few short minutes before the nurse ushered us into a private room to wait. It being cold and flu season and all, she didn't want us waiting in the waiting room. The good news is that he has gained an ounce from the last time he was weighed at the hospital. But the bad news is, well, my fears were confirmed by the doctor as soon as he walked in the room. Oliver is jaundiced, but it isn't severe! No wonder he had such amazing coloring, it wasn't his parent's genes, it was his immature liver. The doctor was very supportive and assured me that there would be no need to stop breastfeeding until we know more but that the jaundice didn't look bad at all.

For all of you who don't know what jaundice is, it is the liver's inability to metabolize red blood cells so they gather under the skin making it look yellow. It happens in half of all infants, and lasts a bit longer and may be a little more severe in breastfed babies. Because of this, some doctors will force the mother to ween the baby for 48 hours, destroying the chances of breastfeeding successfully. Luckily, it can be handled through light therapy as well so hopefully we can work this out that way instead.

So because of all this, Oliver had to get his blood drawn and tested. I fed him right before we went into the lab so he would still be drunk and passed out from the food. Of course, it was hard getting through all the admirers who commented on how beautiful he is and how amazing his skin color is...hahaha, little do they know... They made me put a little warmer on his heel for a few minutes (see picture). I walked back there expecting it to be horrible and me to feel like a bad mom for making him be in pain. The moment comes and I kid you not, he. doesn't. even. wake. up.

I am telling you, even though my nipples are bleeding, my stitches make me walk funny and I can't really function without motrin, I am the luckiest mom out there. He makes my life so much fuller and I couldn't be prouder of the baby I helped create. He makes my job look easy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just realized I could leave comments!
Oliver's a wonderful baby with amazing parents. You and CT are doing such a good job! Keep it up! love mom