Monday, January 28, 2008

Babywearing


There is a fad hitting the nation. It is called, babywearing. Gone are the days of lugging around a baby carrier, car seat or stroller along with your diaper bag and purse. Now, all you have to do is put on your stylish and comfortable baby sling, drop your baby therein and off you go! A benefit to this lifestyle is that you have use of your arms. While others struggle with their babies and their muscles ache at the end of the day, I am free to shop, gesture, and wave 'em like I just don't care while I cradle my infant. Here is another magical aspect of the sling, the baby falls asleep within minutes of being put into the sling. It crunches them up real good, so they assume someone shoved them back into the womb. Ouch you say? Not if you are a baby! It looks hella uncomfortable to me, but Ollie seems to relish the time he spends in there.

Because of this slinging lifestyle, CT and I were able to take our 9 day old out in public for the first time. Being the godfearing newborn that he is, we went to church. All our friends loved meeting him, and we got several compliments about how beautiful he was. Sigh, one gets bored with the same compliments over and over again. He is adored where ever he goes, is it any wonder...? We lit a candle to thank god for such a blessing and introduced him to the church.

Afterwards, we went on a spree to BabysRUs. CT went a bit overboard as we went in for bottles and left with a bed skirt, car bottle warmer, bottle drying kit, two nursing bras (that don't fit but are already washed), and a gift for someone elses baby shower. Oh, and those bottles we got? Need to be returned since we didn't read the box correctly in the store.

Update on Oliver's jaundice: His last blood test was today! His numbers are finally low enough to not have to feed him formula any more (not that we ever did). We set him in the sun for two days straight and fed him all of 8oz of formula over two days so I really doubt the formula did anything at all.

Coming tomorrow: Doctor visit for checkup. We should find out how much he has gained which I am excited about. I feel responsible for every added ounce and that is a good feeling.

1 comment:

Alice said...

Alyssa, I really enjoy reading your Ollie blog. It is the first thing I check when I get on the internet. You have a great writing style.
I can't wait to see you all and hold that precious baby on Friday!
Love,
Alice