Sunday, February 21, 2010

SPA DAY!!!

aaaaand back to me. As mentioned on Facebook, a bunch of my awesome girlfriends online banded together to get me the best baby gift ever!! A day at the spa! This is something I would never ever in a million years have purchased for myself, not that I don't love a nice massage, but I am just that cheap. As much as I hate being touched, I really don't mind it when I am paying someone to do so. Keeps the intimacy out of it.

The plan was for the men of my life to head down to Port Aransas to be with family for the day but unfortunately, it was too yucky of weather for my dad to fly, so they stayed at home. Still, I got to have breakfast with two of my favorite parents, so it wasn't a complete loss! Then I headed down south to go relax. They had a very "I Dream of Genie-esque" relaxation room they put me in with a cup of cocoa and my Spiritual Midwifery book. There was another pregnant mama in there with me so we struck up a conversation. I (of course) asked how far along she was, or when she was due or something, and she told me that she was having a C-section next week due to a breech baby. There was sadness in her voice, so I asked her how she felt about that, and she looked at me like no one had ever asked her about that before, and she sorta stuttered out that it was fine. I sorta laughed at myself for asking and said, "I just know how hard it can be when your plans change so drastically like that! Have a wonderful birth!" and then off she was whisked to her massage or whatnot. The rest of the day I wondered if I should have just nodded and minded my own. Dang me for being chatty!!
Before Massage:
So the massage was HEAVEN. I actually invited the therapist to be at the birth and she suggested a doula, which I thought was totally sweet. She did this thing to my neck that felt like she had 14 hands. It was fantastic. Don't even get me started on the hip massage. Lets just say that CT must learn the technique before I will even THINK of having any further children. Absolute heaven. The whole massage started with this....grooming?? exercise where she took a brush and brushed my skin with it. I straight up felt like a horse. Apparently it is to get the circulation going, and I think if I WAS a horse, I would have really liked it. Unfortunately, I am a highly sensitive pregnant woman, so the whole body brushing thing sorta just scratched at my skin. Shrug! The wrap was next. I am not sure what it was supposed to do, but I slept for a good thirty minutes until I woke up sweating. Great nap! That was, until I DID wake up and was afraid that the place had closed while I was in there. Hahhaha!

After Massage:

Funny story: I told the massage therapist that I forgot to shave my legs, and she laughed and said, "we have men in here all the time, and they NEVER shave their legs. So don't feel bad!"

Next came some cucumber water (sounds fancy but it is just slices of cucumber in water - would possibly be nice to have for labor) and chocolates while I waited for my pedicure/manicure. Pedicures are more my speed, I do occasionally treat myself to one every now and then. I have been really into purple these days, and so I picked a nice mauvey plum color for the toesies. It was nice just to sit and read and have my toes done. The pedicurist was not very social, which was totally fine with me. I do not like a whole lot of chit chat during my "me" time.

After the toes, came the fingers. I can not tell you the last time I had a manicure. Possibly when I had tons of money to spend on such silly, fun, and needless things. Ah, I miss you two incomes!! I opted for a buff, and was SO happy with the results. I have next to no nails, but they look so pretty and well taken care of now! I really must do this for myself more often. I bet it would cut down on my children getting cut on my jagged nails too. Bonus! The manicurist (same girl as the pedicure) asked me whether I was having a c-section, or was it an induction? I just stared at her waiting for a third option. When none was given, I told her our plans for a home birth. She was really flumoxed, but when I went on to explain some of my reasons, etc. She came around. Except she repeatedly asked me "yes, but what does your DOCTOR say?" "Was your doctor mad when you decided?" "Who does your appointments, you see a doctor for that right??" I just smiled and answered her questions. A spoonful of sugar makes the education go down!

I needed this kind of treatment yesterday. I was feeling large, and heavy and tired. I needed rejuvenation and pampering to deal with the fact that no fewer than 5 people asked me yesterday if I was having twins when I told them I had 5 weeks left to my due date. I actually love being this big, I think it is cute and fun, but it is the PEOPLE who make it so unbearably humiliating. BIG middle finger to Victoria's Secret workers btw. I realize I am not a 34C, you don't need to laugh me out of the store when I ask to purchase something in this size. I also have friends, and they don't happen to be hauling around a baby with them.....yet.

Again, THANK YOU!!! to all who contributed! I will upload pictures as soon as I take a nap....

3 comments:

Tristian said...

I am SO glad you had a great time! Pregnancy really takes it out of you, doesn't it? Savor the relaxation, girl!

Britt said...

I like the pics of your fingers and toes, ah to have long skinny digits. :)

Le Crunchy Mama said...

So glad you enjoyed it!