Monday, February 22, 2010

Domesticated

Sure I rock out the mom thing, but the whole Suzy Homemaker thing, well, lets just say it is a good thing my husband is a neat nick! I cook, and I do it well, but since I almost always deviate from the recipe, I am not such a great baker as you would imagine. Baking recipes get angry when you substitute say, baking soda for soda pop (oooooh snap!). So when my little sister started being all awesome and making her own bread, I felt I had to at least try this thing called...GASP! baking.

Let me start by saying, I have the crappiest oven known to mankind. It burns everything. So I knew that even if I got the recipe right, the chances of the bread being delish was very slim. Anyway, I figured it would be a good project for Oliver to help with. So one day, with nothing to lose but some flour and water, we began!

Step One: Grease the rising dish. We had to have assistance here because my little butter lover would have run away with the butter and eaten in a closet somewhere had he been unattended.

Step Two: Flour the counter. This is important for two reasons. 1) It helps the dough not to stick 2) It helps the kid to stay interested in the situation while he makes a mess in the flour!

Step Three: Kneed the dough. As you can see from the picture of both of straining, this is not an easy step. Of course, it would help if ONE of us had the strength of an adult.


Here is the video of me being a good mother, and allowing my child to "make bread" followed by a video of the real me, in which I completely take over. MOVE!!!



3 comments:

Britt said...

Love the picture of y'all kneading the dough with the exact same expression! :)

Le Crunchy Mama said...

Haha, I love the videos! I love how excited he got to "hit it hard"!!

Summer said...

Thats bread was the shizzle, by the way. We ate the crap out of it. And Ruger finished it off when I was taking a nap (damn dog!)