Thursday, February 25, 2010

36 weeks and a few days

Look how happy I am to be out of bed in this picture. So, anyway, as most of you already know, Tuesday I woke up to feeling like my body was one big huge cramp. Oliver was nursing at the time, so CT tempted him with juice, and I tried to sleep more. I was still having painful Braxton Hicks contractions, that were sorta pinching at the bottom, so I went ahead and called my midwife to give her a heads up. I had a prenatal visit set up already, but it was canceled due to....oh yea, thats right, freakin' snow. Yea. In Austin, Texas, it snowed like two inches the day that I needed my midwife to come check me. I don't think it has snowed like that since the winter my sister was born, 25 years ago.

Anyway, when the midwife came, she checked me and told me that I was shut up tight down there but that the baby was at +1 station. picture of station in pelvis Pictures, Images and Photos Which was making my cervix all irritated and causing contractions. Throughout the day, I tried to lay down and make them stop, but to no avail. Later, one of my midwife's assistants came to check me. After a false start (she was all nervous and tried to feel the baby's position in a hole where no baby has ever been) she determined that I was dilated to 1cm on the inside of my cervix and 3cm on the outside of my cervix. So, not good. The funny part is, that even thought the baby is SO low, I am STILL measuring 2 weeks ahead. This is not a small and delicate baby.

My midwife, Kristen, (yes she has a name), REALLY wanted me to keep the baby in until Friday, at which time she would be fine with delivering me at home. I have lofty goals of 37 weeks, which is Tuesday. She was super concerned about me going into full blown labor, so she had me order my birth kit and stay on my side. I finally got the contractions to settle down with a glass of wine, a handful of magnesium tablets, some benadryl, laying down constantly, and a warm sock of rice placed on my belly with two ice packs on my hips which ACHED. I slept 10 hours that night, and it was fantastic. My Aunt Liz came to pick up Oliver after the midwife left, to stay a few nights with his grandmommy. This has been the biggest blessing. To have family who are willing and able to help in this way. No way this baby would have stayed inside this long with me running around after Ollie.

Not much happened the next day. Lots more laying around, sneaking some computer time, peeing, etc. I did have a chance to finally fill out Henley's/Callum's baby book which I have been needing to do, and reading the birth stories in Spiritual Midwifery has helped immensely with connecting me to this experience which seems so out of my comfort and experience level. I have to say, going through this has forced me to slow down, reconnect with the young fellow inside of me, and really think about the fact that I will be a mommy to two soon. I am grateful for that. It was almost like the baby made this happen to remind me of the huge life change that it would bring with them. I have to admit, I was feeling pretty cocky that evening. I thought, I got this covered, I feel great, gonna get 10 more hours of sleep. Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhh.....

Wednesday night was one of the longest nights on record. I was in pain constantly from the horrible period like cramps that never let up and wrapped around my back and the contractions that came regularly, waking me up in intervals. I was honestly just waiting for my water to break. I felt like an animal, I wanted to pace the halls, and squat and get on all fours but I knew that would only aid to speed things along, so I lay there hurting. I felt more restrained than when I was in the hospital, and I hated it. CT was amazing. He rubbed my back, suggested a heating pad for my cramps, got me water, adjusted the heater and vent about a thousand times cause I was DYING it was so hot, so he got about as much sleep as me. Around 5am, they subsided, and only now (after about an hour and a half of sitting up) they are starting up again.

I have no control over this process. I have no plans past "keep the baby inside" this hour, this minute. Oh, that and eat the crap out of the breakfast tacos that my mom is going to be bringing over later...I get to see my baby son today, who has been weaned suddenly and without his permission due to the nature of my situation. He honestly probably won't mind, but if he does, it will break my heart. I still can't wait to see him though!! Stay tuned labor fans, the show ain't over til the fat baby cries. Now if you will excuse me, I have a date with some Lifetime movie and Shear Genius.

4 comments:

Britt said...

I'm on pins and needles and oh so excited! Can't wait to meet the little squishy one. :)

gean said...

On Defcon ONE down the street!

Sunny said...

Ironically, my IRL friend who left the VBAC comment is the one who has natural home labors (goes to hospital right before pushing, I think?, but definitely delivers without intervention right as she arrives). And her second child was over 10 lbs. !!!

I have a feeling I might go before you... although my twins will have NICU time unfortunately. The race to deliver (or NOT to deliver?) is on!!

Alyssa G said...

Huh, that is a bit unfair. Sorta like a really prolific woman saying "aren't you glad you chose to adopt?" to a person with infertility. Anyway, yes, the race to be the last one pregnant is on. I pray for NO NICU stay for your LOs!