Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The others


Okay, so it is starting to get creepy. Everyone that I meet asks me about my other kids. It worried me the first time it happened. At the hospital the nurses kept asking me when my other kids were coming to meet their baby brother. I just stared blankly at them until they realized their mistake. So many nurses asked about my invisible kids that I started getting concerned that they had mixed up some files and the baby I was holding was someone else's. I expressed this concern to the nurse on duty and she laughed--somewhat nervously--and backed out of the room glancing at my file.

I figured this nonsense would stop when we got home but it hasn't! I have been asked by so many people how it could be true that I only have this one baby. Doctors, nurses, lab techs, people at church and even perfect strangers ask about my other children. I began to believe this was a comment on my waist size or a nice way of saying I looked ten years older than I am.

Finally, when a lady at church asked me how old my other kids were I had to ask:

Her: So, how old are your other kids?
Me: Everyone says that! He is my only one, why do you think I have more??
Her: You are so relaxed and comfortable with him.
Oliver: ZZZZZZZZZZZzzz
Me: Yea you should see me when he is awake!
Her: Well, you must be a nurse then.
Me: Honey, I'm not even a nice person!
Friend standing neaby: schnerfgurgle (the sound coffee makes going up one's nose)

3 comments:

Liz said...

So is schnerfgurgle the same noise when wine comes out your nose? It only happens to me when your talking and I’m sipping ;~}

Good to have an Oliver fix!

Liz said...

Are you teaching Oliver your Jabba the Hut impressions?

Terry said...

Holly Schlaack offers us a guide to the tormented world of aboutsmall kids. She tells their stories of life both earlier and after they enter foster care. Her firsthand, on the ground feel is capsulized in her list of "A Dozen Ways to Make a Difference," so that the reader will be not only involved by these stories but shown a map to help make life improve for them. I urge Invisible Kids for any professional or private citizen who worries about children. (www.InvisibleKidsTheBook.com)