Friday, October 3, 2008

Scariest day of my life

Today I finally felt like I was on top of things. I was getting laundry done, I had diapers on the line, and Oliver's closet was resembling an actual closet instead of a storage unit. I was doing it all! Labeling, washing, switching out 6-9 month clothing for 9-12 month clothing and even was getting rid of stuff I no longer needed on Freecycle (my obsession). Most importantly even while I was doing this, I was present for Oliver. I was showing him how to fold clothes - he unfolded, how to put things away - he opened and closed drawers, and what each thing in the room was called - he crawled away meowing at the cat. I didn't say all my efforts were appreciated.

I left him for literally 5 seconds to run downstairs to put some freecycle stuff on the front porch. I left the door open behind me just in case he started crying, which of course, he did. I look up at the balcony and there he is, head, arms and shoulders through the bars. His shoulders keeping him from moving backwards to safety, his diaper - cloth of course - keeping him from falling to the tile below. I freaked. I ran as fast as I could move up the stairs. He was stuck, but I twisted him so he was out and in my arms in seconds. I think it goes without saying that we will be installing some kind of plexiglass up there this weekend.

Afterwards, I just held him, crying. He didn't see what the big deal was and wanted to go play. Terrifying. Apparently it was God's way of getting back at me for what is commonly refered to in my family as "That Grand Canyon Stunt."

2 comments:

Liz said...

While reading your blogs I have many times laughed out loud but this time while reading I gasped out loud. For those that haven't seen your home...it is a very very long hard way down from where Oliver could have fallen. THANK GOD he didn't fall!
The builder should be horse whipped, Oliver should not be able to stick his head between the balusters...good thing you have a very handy husband.

Unknown said...

I know, you know now how I felt at the Grand Canyon when you appeared in front of me on the wrong side of the fence meant to keep people on the safe side. I still have nightmares!
Thank God he was wearing a cloth diaper and his fat bottom held him safe. ~much love