Thursday, October 9, 2008

Oprah fails women


I watched Oprah last week with rapt attention. The guest: Christina Applegate. The subject: Breast cancer in young women and how it can be avoided. When asked the question, point blank, "What lifestyle choices can we make to prevent breast-cancer?" Oprah's expert said, "Diet and exercise." Of course, Oprah interrupted at that point and cut to commercial but what an opportunity missed!!

Breastfeeding is a great way to lower your risk of breast-cancer and ovarian cancer. Since it runs in my family, I will be doing what I can to prevent this in myself. Will you?

Take that Oprah!

4 comments:

Suna Kendall said...

Just don't be complacent, and when you get old like me, get your mammograms or whatever newfangled procedure will be done. My mentor, Roberta Bishop Johnson, was the first La Leche League Leader outside Illinois, and of course she breastfed her kids. Nonetheless, she died of breast cancer (after a very inspirational time dealing with it). Still, it is good to know our risks are lower through the simple act of feeding our babies!

Unknown said...

Bravo my darling!
Remember your monthly breast self exams, too! So many times women find irregularities before doctors or scans. Breast cancer occurs in men too. Spread the word - it is October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Rae said...

Right on baby!! RIGHT ON!!!!!

Suna Kendall said...

On another note, get someone to make Oliver this

http://www.buttknits.com/shop/products-page/embellishment-patterns/butt-knitstrade-gummie-face-embellishment-pattern/