Sunday, October 5, 2008

Hell Week


Sleep deprivation, limited amount of time to eat, feats of strength and stamina and someone intimidating shouting at you to do it faster and better. Sound like Navy Seal training? Guess again, its life in a day as a mom to a 9 month old. I don't know what is going on with him but neither one of us have slept in the past week. Sure, it might be teeth - he has 8 already, how many more does he need? It might be tummy troubles - he has started eating a bunch of solids. Or, he could just simply hate me and want me to be miserable.

On days like today, when I can hardly see for the bleariness in my eyes, when my husband is sneezing every three seconds from allergies, my house is a wreck and the baby can't stop needing, I look around at my life and wonder, what would happen if I just walked out and never came back? Sometimes the only thing keeping me from doing just that is breastfeeding. He needs specifically me to take care of feeding him, and while sure, he would take a bottle after a day or two, it would wreck his world. Meanwhile, if I was formula feeding and anyone off the street could take care of him, I would have hit the road out of frustration, exhaustion and a need to hear my own thoughts jangling around in my head.

Oh and POO to anyone who thinks starting solids makes babies sleep through the night. They made mine stop.

No comments: