Friday, January 16, 2009

Diary of a Mad Caucasian Baby (Morning Edition)

12am - Wakes up whining after nursing for two hours
12:10am - I wake up CT crying, begging him to tell me what to do. We move Oliver from our bed to his crib
12:20am - The screaming stops
2:30am - The screaming starts up as if Oliver just realized he was tricked into sleeping in a crib and is now embarrassed and pissed.
4:44am - Wakes up whining and is laying between us sideways making CT's and my sleeping space about 3 inches long.
5:30am - Has scooted up all the way to the headboard and is banging his head against it. Whining.
6:15am - He sits up (eyes still closed) and head butts both of us in turn in the face. I give up and say Good Morning. CT gets slapped in the face.
7:30am - I get up and make muffins so that CT can have breakfast. Daddy leaves and I am once again alone with my nemesis.
8am - I get some applesauce for breakfast, and share with Oliver. He throws the cup to the floor. Neither of us eat anything else.
8:30am - The crank starts, and I pray for a 45 minute nap so that we can make Baby Time at the library at 9:30
9:20am - Oliver is finally asleep
9:35am - No he isn't. But at least I was able to make his doctor appointment and call to check on RSVPs for his bday in all my spare time.
9:45am - Happily playing on the floor and I am debating whether to try to leave the room, try and get something done and risk the crying that will ensue or just sit around the house all day long.
9:50am - The charge to the door begins. I have to mail a package today, so I leave Oliver downstairs to play while I go prepare it.
9:51am - He realizes I am gone and starts crying and banging on the gate.
9:55am - Still listening to crying, I come downstairs to get Oliver to get him ready. First we change him. This ensues a cry-fest which ends in me holding and rocking and singing for a solid 10 minutes before he stops screaming. Then we read two books while he plays because as soon as I put the one book down, he started crying again. I finally feel it is safe to put on his shoes and socks, trying to make it a game. The diaper bag is packed, the diapers need to be washed but that will have to wait for another time. Grab a sweater, onto getting mommy ready.
10:15am - In the 30 seconds it takes to walk down the hall, some kind of bond forms between our bodies so that when they separate so that I can put pants on, Oliver melts into a puddle of tears again. We sit and rock for another 10 minutes. He gets interested in a toy, and I dress very fast.
10:30am - We are in the car, strapped in and I only had to go back and forth 5 times to getting my phone, diaper bag, wallet, keys and package to mail. I forgot a coat. It is 40 degrees out today.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Mommyhood is not for the faint of heart...this will only be a memory in a blink of an eye...hang in there sweetie.

Britt said...

I laughed out loud at the 6:15 comment. Doest that make me a bad aunt? Nah, not too bad. Does that make me a bad sister/sister-in-law? Yes, fo sho!