Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Flying on a Jet Plane

If that picture doesn't sell tickets, I'm not sure there is much hope for the airline industry! I am just now getting around to writing about our trip to Albuquerque or as I call it: "The Land of the Stare". I kid you not, all of the people look at you as if you have a boogy hanging out of your nose. It was so bad I was continually checking my zipper to make sure it was up. I digress, this is about Oliver's Travels.

The first triumph of the weekend was the fact that I was able to wake myself at 4am for my car service. Thankfully, my parents were late. I kid you not, I was very nervous about this flight. I had hideous visions of a baby screaming and a woman the spitting image of me 5 years ago glaring and whispering loudly about people who bring children on flights. I kept telling myself, just nurse him on the plane and it will be fine! Somewhere between the car and security a panicked thought entered my brain. What if he doesn't WANT to nurse!? His ears will explode and there will be baby brains all over the cabin. One emergency landing and two very angry Air Marshals later, red faces all around. I was pleasantly surprised by his willingness to cooperate though! I guess exhaustion plus inner ear pain equals perfect child. See, you CAN nurse discreetly!

Oliver was so happy to see Aunt Britty!! Oh, and Uncle B too. And of course Cousin Brew. What he was not happy to see, was his rented carseat. Do yourself a favor oh ye of pregnant stature. Do your research when buying a carseat and DO NOT get a Graco SnugRide. Not only is it a death trap, but also it forces your baby into a very uncomfortable angle. He screamed constantly. When he finally passed out from the screaming, his head flopped around like a trout, waking him again. Oh that carseat and I had it out, I am still mad about it.

These are things we learned in Albuquerque:
1. You know the rich people because they have grass.
2. There are three colors in Albuquerque. Salmon, turquoise and beige. Everything, the houses, jewlery, clothing and people come in only those colors.
3. No that man is not flirting, he is judging.
4. My mom has a secret admirer who waits tables (no kidding, he serenaded her).
5. The best thing about Albuquerque is leaving it.

No, really it was a ton of fun!! I got to meet one of my good friends online because she lives there. Shout out to Michelle and Bella!! We did everything Albuquerque and Santa Fe had to offer and then some. My favorite part had to be chillaxing with my sister, promise-in-law and mom after the baby had gone to sleep, that is why we went, and by golly, we did it! Oliver had a blast, and he was SO cute in his feety PJs that he HAD to wear because it got cold at night.

So now, we are in the clear to travel with the little one, I am really impressed by how well he did aside from the carseat. Maine, HERE WE COME!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, my goodness! You had to mention the waiter, didn't you! I was trying to keep that bit of the trip from your father! You know how jealous he is!!! He may never allow me to travel without him again!
Seriously, though, the trip was a lot of fun, very relaxing and Oliver was just an angel - until we put him in that awful carseat. Always take your own carseat on trips!