Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Three months down...



Three months down and I am still here. This is the longest I have ever worked somewhere and not wanted to throw myself off the roof. The hours suck but you can't beat the benefits! This is the time that many women go back to work. Everyday that I wake up with this little warm body next to me, I am so glad that I don't have to make the decision of who to leave him with every morning. I am lucky...that person is me!
Lessons Learned:
1. The phone will ring as soon as the baby has gone to sleep.
2. If all the phones are off, some fine upstanding young men in suits on bikes come by to visit.
3. My child is not unlike the bus in the movie "Speed". If the car speed drops to below 60mph, he explodes. I have actually gone far out of my way to avoid a stop sign or red light.
4. Moms in minivans drive horribly for a reason.
5. A sure cure for constipation is a brand new cloth diaper.
6. It's true: The more you sleep, the more you sleep.
7. The smell of food makes babies angry.
8. God made pacifiers for a reason.
9. Luxury is a cup of coffee, heaven is having cream in it, nirvana is a band that was awesome in the 90s.
10. There is no accounting for taste. Despite Baby Einstien's best efforts, Miss Mary Mack is Oliver's favorite song.

Questions I still have:
1. Why is TV so bad, but blinking lights, moving stuffed animals and loud repetitive music beneficial?
2. Why do you need two people to unfold a stroller? If I had two people I wouldn't NEED the stroller.
3. How does he know how fast the car is going? I blame the angle of the baby mirror...he can see my speedometer.
4. When does it change from "loving" to "spoiling"?
5. Why do parents think Sleeping Through The Night is the be all, end all of parenting? If it is, my parents failed.
6. Why must every prayer at church be punctuated by a fart, burp or minute long poop? LOUU people, back me up on this.
7. Why do people think "he has your cheeks" is a compliment?
8. Why does he wait for daddy to come home to finally do the thing I have been trying to get him to do all day? IE. laugh, sleep, eat
9. Teething at three months?
10. Is he trying to make me look stupid? As soon as I get the video camera, he stops whatever cute/advanced/awesome thing he was doing. Case in point:

2 comments:

DianeS said...

(waving at Alyssa and Oliver)

I can't answer most of your questions. But questions 8 and 10 are easy. There is a rule book that all babies are given the moment they're born. Those are among the ironclad rules in the book, I'm quite sure. I'm also quite sure that the main purpose of all the rules (and possibly the answer to most of your questions) is to help the baby drive one or both parents into screaming insanity. I think you've held out longer than I did.

Suna Kendall said...

I have been so SO many parenting conference sessions on that loving/spoiling question. Babies are not raw meat, though--they do not spoil.

LOUU people love all baby noises other than siren wails, which of course do inspire astute parents to hike on out of the sanctuary (do not love high pitched screeches from small girls--wait, that is just me). Your baby, he no problem.

And I think teething is constant from about 2.5 months until the emergence of wisdom teeth. Feel free to blame everything on teething. No one can disprove you.