Saturday, June 6, 2009

Nightweaned and it feels so good


So, after he finally got over his week long fever and sickipooness, we needed to get back on track with nightweaning. I had done Dr. Jay Gordon, but it was almost, well, TOO nice, if you must know. It was confusing him and allowing me to slip into old habits, letting him nurse but for only 5 minutes one night and then not at all the next, etc.

After speaking to my very wise friend who is also a mother of two (almost three!), we decided to try a different tack. We went with the "Night Night Nursies" method. He still nurses all he wants during the day, and at bedtime. However, if and when he wakes, he does not get the breast. He gets mommy (soon to be daddy) of course, but instead of a boob, he gets pats.

We also moved him to...dun dun dun dun!!! A big boy bed! That is correct ladies and gents, my son no longer sleeps with us! Well, not exactly, he sleeps with us if he needs it, but not every night or all night long. He has his own bed, in his own room, we need to decorate the room and rig the bed so that it is not fall-outable but it does it's job for now.

Night One (still co-sleeping):
10:30pm Wakes up and wants to nurse, screams for an hour
2am Wakes up and wants to nurse, screams for 20 minutes
4am Wakes up and wants to nurse, sobs for 5 minutes
6am Wakes and I finally nurse him
I am exhausted and want to quit

Night Two (Big Boy Bed):
9pm asleep, a little late but we had dinner with my mom and he played on a playscape to get last minute energy out
10:30pm woke up screaming but didn't want to nurse, just cuddle so I am thinking bad dream?
2am woke up wanting to nurse but only cried for a few seconds when I said "nursies went night night!"
4am woke up but put himself back to sleep before I could get down the hall
6am Fell out of bed which of course woke him up but he nursed back to sleep in our bed
7:30am woke for the day

Night Three (big boy bed/cosleeping):
8:45pm Asleep after 45 minutes of nursing
2am My silly mommy butt wanted to see him before I went to bed and woke him up but he was back down in a few seconds
3am Fell out of bed again, and coslept the rest of the night for safety. The bed is now fixed btw.
7am woke up asking for nursies so I made a big deal out of the sun being up and nursies being awake and excited to see him. I felt silly but it made him happy!

Night Four (tonight)
I will be gone the WHOLE night from 7pm-7am, so I will have NO idea how he does. CT gets him ALL NIGHT LONG. Heh!

3 comments:

Rae said...

I LOVE that pic of Oliver! So cute!!!! I hope it goes well and it's not to rough on either of you.

CT said...

Update: He actually stayed out all night with us at the ACS Relay for Life. He had a blast with all the Convioans and their friends and family, and went to sleep at about 10:00 without much fight. He only woke up once, at 2. Maybe we should move him to a tent in the back yard instead of a mattress...

Britt said...

Nursies? What is this? I guess it's a mom thing I don't get...Whatever works...