Monday, May 25, 2009

Ooooh that smell!!


It all started Thursday. Oliver and I went to his favorite place in the entire world, the Sprinkler Park. For those of you who don't know what this grand place is, it is like a mini-Schliterbahn for toddlers with no lines and none of the women's bodies make you feel suicidal. Oliver was playing and running around filling buckets up with water, as is his way, when all of a sudden he started shivering and staring. NOT a good sign. We stopped to have some orange slices and dry off and then, because the shivering and staring didn't stop, we left for home.

Fast-forward to when I found both the lube and the butt-mometer and finally took my baby's temperature. It was a raging 103.5. He was hot to the touch. CT called the doctor and we rushed there after giving him some tylenol. When we arrived at the Dr. his temperature had dropped to 101.3, still not great! So, after a very painful and betraying gag reflex test, the results were in: my son has strep throat. Great! Not only did I give him my eyes, but also my strep throat tendencies.

No biggie right, we can just give him some antibiotics and in 10 short (long) days, it will be gone! Not so fast, you see, antibiotics kills all the good bacteria in your tummy, causing diarrhea, thrush and other beasty yeasties to grow. So, feed him yogurt you say! Nope, kid hates yogurt. So, we have been trying to counter the antibiotics with probiotic powder we mix in his drinks. Which would be great, IF IT WORKED. Some friends suggested making a frozen yogurt pop for him to eat. I wish he wasn't so picky!

We have had three blow out diapers TODAY alone. Luckily, with the cloth all the poop was contained, but you know his tummy had to hurt SO bad! He crashed out as soon as we got home from my grandmother's house today, which according to my last blog post is VERY unlike him. So, the nightweaning is on hold until his poopiness is over, the kid needs any and all fluids he can get. This also means that I will be a zombie for the next couple of days.

3 comments:

CT said...

Poor little guy, and poor mommy! We thought he was getting better, but then the poops kicked in, and made him feel crappy (pun intended).

Why does he always get sick when we try something new at night?

Suna Kendall said...

I sure hope he is better soon. I have a staph tendency, which is even worse. Heal! Heal!

Britt said...

Oh strep...how I don't miss thee! I remember the yogurt drinks Mom had to buy me because regular yogurt was so yucky (still is)! I don't envy you...except that Oliver is lovely and perfect. :)