Sunday, May 24, 2009

Adventures in Night Weaning


From what I can tell, I am the slowest, most gentle nightweaner out there. Everything I have read says to do it cold turkey, just give the kiddo to the dad and do not go back into the room. Ever. That sounds AWESOME...for those kids who actually WILL go to sleep after 20 minutes. My child is not one of these babies. So, we are starting slow.

Step One: Eliminating nursing to sleep at night. To be honest, Oliver hasn't been nursing to sleep at night in two or three weeks now. He just goes from breast to breast and will not fall to sleep. It was taking me 1-2 and sometimes 3 hours to put him to sleep where as before he was down and out in 20 minutes or less.
The Plan: CT and I BOTH lay down with Oliver after his bath and quiet play, in our room. I nurse Oliver while CT reads a chapter or two in a book (Danny, Champion of the World by Roald Dahl), then we sing some songs quietly. CT pats while I nurse, then when Oliver is drowsy but not asleep, I leave the room and though Oliver cried out, was patted back to sleep by his daddy.

Step Two: Eliminating night nursing. Oliver wakes consistently at the same times each night. Also, he never takes an entire feed, it is more of a snack and then back to sleep. This says to me that he is waking out of habit and not out of hunger.
The Plan: This step could have been called "getting Oliver to like CT at night". CT and I sleep in a separate bedroom until the first waking. I was getting up alone to nurse all night, but now, CT gets up with me. He pats, I nurse. Soon, I will nurse less and less and he will pat more and more. Eventually, I will only get up with him during certain times of the night, and then those times will become less and less until I am no longer the one getting up, CT is.

Step Three: Moving Oliver to a "big boy bedroom" Oliver has slept with us on and off since birth. We recently bought a king sized bed, which Oliver sleeps in fulltime and we sleep in part time. If we want to have another baby, we need Oliver out of the King sized and into a room of his very own. Cribs make him scream.
The Plan: We have to clean out what used to be known as the office and change it into a little boy room. This starts with organization and cleaning, and a very expensive trip to IKEA. CT and I have more papers and keepsakes than should be legal. Once the room is ready (and catbox free!) CT and I will start putting him to bed there instead of our room.

I am sort of nervous about night weaning, because the only time he nurses anymore is at naptime and at night. I offer all through out the day and he downright refuses. So I fear it could throw him into weaning completely. On the other hand, it could gently encourage him to nurse more during the day. Either way, I think I will be fine with whatever happens.

No comments: