Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Children's Televison WorkSTOP!

I have always been a fan of Sesame Street. It was always funny and educational and entertaining. Lately though, the street has had quite the makeover. I have a bone to pick with the street that is Sesame.

Point One: When did Elmo take over? He is like a furry red dictator of reading. I picture him in a back room water boarding Big Bird (whom he usurped as leader of Sesame) until he picks the Letter of the Day. The entire last half hour is composed of "Elmo's World". This hellish crayon drawn world is both annoying and irritating. Which makes it - of course - Oliver's favorite segment. And um, Elmo, that "special song" you sing every day about a different thing, yea, its still Jingle Bells.

Point Two: I guess sometime in the 1990s, a few bored housewives got together and decided that Cookie Monster was pushing sugar on their kids (Toddler "White" - Wink Chad!) So they started pushing the veggies. However, I really do think they are going about it the wrong way. Now, they have singing, dancing and personable vegetables dancing around to rap songs. I may be wrong, but I don't think making food a friend is the greatest way to go about getting kids to want to eat them. No one wants to eat food with a face. Cookies have no face, they are simply delish.

Point Three: Remember how it used to be? Celebrities would show up and sing a song and then kiss the puppet and move on? Well, apparently PBS has become the Red Light District for publicity whores. I am talking to you Sugarland!! They have showed up on not only Sesame Street but also twanged their way onto Yo Gabba Gabba. I can not get away from their fake ass accents and horrible singing.

Luckily though, they are still doing really funny song revisions, which dates back to "Letter B" by the Beetles.



2 comments:

Sargent Family said...

I totally agree about Elmo. I never said he could be in charge! Where's my voice!? I do love "My Triangle", too. Do you know if they still do "Teeny Little Super Guy"? He was my fave. My Oliver still won't sit still for more than one Wiggles song, so we haven't worked our way up to Sesame Street yet.

Ingrid said...

I still love the songs, the triangle song is cool. My favorite is Norah Jones singing I don't know Y with Elmo (yes, I do love Elmo and I love Norah Jones too).