Monday, June 16, 2008

...but first!!

Great news! Or bad news, depending on what side of the nursing bra you are standing...Oliver has cut his first tooth! Left side, bottom front tooth. Oh my, my little guy has toofers!! Every day, he does something new and amazing. Yesterday he finally rolled back to front. I don't know this little person at all it turns out, he PREFERS his tummy to his back. And who wouldn't when there are so many things to do. Pulling the cat's hair, screaming at the rings to COME HERE, turning a full 360 on what I call his "diaper axis". There are too many things to do to waste time on your back! (or so they told me in college...)

All of these firsts got me thinking. When do we stop celebrating firsts? At a year? Two? Twenty? It seems that Oliver is continually changing, evolving and learning. He has started "kissing" - really more of a slime slide down your face, but he uses both hands to hold your face, which is heartbreakingly cute. He flirts with strangers, squeals with joy and has started paying attention to my sign language and our "conversations" (really me talking to myself in front of strangers). We want to record all of these events in our child's life, but when do we decide our lives aren't important enough to record?

Oh sure, the big things we get. First days of school, dances, prom, graduation, and in my case, first marriages. But what about the smaller stuff? First really good bottle of wine, first R rated movie, first adult job, first massage. Sometimes the last one is filmed, but those are the really shoddy massage places...not recommended. In the spirit of this, I wish to submit a very important first not everyone thinks of recording, but everyone...at least in Texas, should.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Why, oh why does "baby's first cotton eyed joe" make me tear up?
I guess I just such a Texan!
I love that you are documenting everything!

schniffle!

Could it be the hormones? I feel a hot flash comin' on. Gotta go get my fan!