Monday, March 22, 2010

Mastitis and other Joys

So you know that feeling when you get hit by a mack truck and your right boob gets stuck underneath the back bumper and you get dragged for a mile that way until the truck stops and rabid wolves feast on your remains? Yea, that is about what it feels like to have mastitis.

Sunday I woke up feeling very achy, very run down and vaguely like I had fever. However, this was the day that Funkatonic was playing at church! This was the day that we were dedicating the kiddos during the service! I couldn't miss that over a little thing like being in so much pain I couldn't pick my legs up and therefore kept tripping over things!!

I took 4 motrin, gave myself a slap in the face and pep talk in the mirror and bucked up for the day. At church, the music was kicking, the fawning over the new baby was intense and the dedication was beautiful (never mind that the only way we could get Oliver to sit still for it was to have his friend "Nan Nan" who is 9 to hold his hand through the whole thing). If I had an Apple computer, I have no doubt I could share some pictures with you, my mom took some great ones but they are on iphotos which to my computer looks like a bunch of wingdings on a page. I digress.

After church we were supposed to head over to my grandmother's house for dinner. I took a nap first at home, still trying to convince myself that I didn't have what I knew I had. My right breast now felt like it was trying to both explode and rot off at the same time. I took my temperature, but no fever, so I ran with it, thinking I would be fine. This became impossible about half way through dinner, when I started asking people to smother me with a pillow to put me out of my misery. I finally called my midwife and she told me to get to an ER.

Long story short (TOO LATE!), we went to the ER, CT lied about me being a Lactation Consultant without my knowledge, and they rushed me in and out in about 30 minutes as I had the "qualifications" to diagnose myself. A doctor did see me to confirm my suspicions, and gave me a prescription for antibiotics. Thank god for mold.



2 comments:

Suna Kendall said...

I hope you are feeling a LOT better by now.

Unknown said...

Alyssa was feeling a LOT better after the second dose. Modern miracles!
Alyssa, I'm so sorry about my pictures! I really need a new way to share. I'm working on it.