Friday, October 9, 2009

Solids Strike


Can kids live on juice? My kid used to be a good eater, he ate veggies and fruits and beans and everything! Well, he never ate meat, or rather, ate meat as much as people are supposed to eat meat, about once a week or so. Now? I can hardly get him to eat anything. It is so frustrating! I promised myself I would never be one of those moms who made him eat everything on his plate, because I really do think kids know when they need food and when they are done, but this is getting to be ridiculous!

Foods I can get him to eat no matter what include:
Cheese
Chips
French Fries
Beans and rice
Green beans fresh from the garden
Carrots from the garden
Peppers from the garden
(seriously, the kid won't eat grocery store produce)

Foods that are hit or miss:
Apples
Bananas
Eggs
Chicken
tomatoes
Greens (only in soups)
broccoli

Foods that are right out:
Red meat
corn
peas

Okay, well, I guess he isn't on a strike...maybe I just need to calm the heck down. I worry that he eats too much fruit and not enough veggies. I think I need to just trust that he knows what his little body needs and supply him with variety. We try to keep sweets to a minimum (which some people believe makes him mistreated -cough, mama, cough) and I would rather him have fruit than ice cream or something. How much fruit is too much? Is it okay that he never sits down to eat a meal? He is constantly picking at food and walking around with it, BIG snacker. Is that okay?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, this sounds like my life! Thankfully, you have a garden. Emma misses her garden so much; it's really so much easier to get kids to eat food when they watch it grow. :)

Anyway, I found the best article from Dr. Sears about toddlers and eating. Yes, they are little snackers, and sometimes they eat and sometimes they just don't. Hope this helps... http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030800.asp#back

Unknown said...

I think Oliver looks like his Great-great Granddaddy LeRoy Franz in this photo!