Thursday, March 26, 2009

Signs


We started sleep training last night. We are doing the Dr. Jay Gordon method of night weaning because I have had enough of waking every two hours while trying to grow a human being. Don't get me wrong it HAS been fun and all, but I am moving on to...oh dang, what is that word? We used to have it all the time back in the day...oh yea, that's right, sleep. So pretty much this consists of a ten night boot camp of seeing just how loud your baby can scream. Turns out, pretty loud. CT's ears were still ringing this morning. Oliver has to learn that breasts sleep too, from the hours of 11pm to 6am. He slept a continuous 4 hours last night, so maybe it will work! I am sleeping in the guest room until the process is over and Oliver prefers Daddy to Mommy at night time.

Apparently, four continuous hours of sleep does a body good because I sang the Moulin Rouge soundtrack to Oliver while he was getting changed and Oliver suddenly knows the sign for "more". That's right folks! It only took 8 months of signing to him for him to learn that if he touches his finger to his palm, we give him goodies. Tonight while I was nursing him, he kept signing 'more' 'more'! Until he fell asleep. Sure, it could be that he just loved it and didn't want to stop, or it could be that my milk supply is tanking. Sigh. I will get video of it soon!

So now, my new goal is to get him to sign 'milk' before he weans and to get him to sign 'poop' (the funnest sign EVER) and 'pee' when he does either one. I guess I figure if he knows the sign for it we can use it to potty train him. Maybe? I'll be honest, I think potty training is a miracle. It amazes me when a kid willingly just hops on a potty and makes a deposit. No idea how to approach it or when. Luckily, I have no problems with two in diapers because honestly, Oliver sorta thinks the toilet is some sort of bookshelf.

1 comment:

Sargent Family said...

well i am 17 weeks along and my milk just came in (ugh) so give it a few more weeks and Oliver should be filling up again on the yummy stuff!